Tips for Smokers
- Smoking is not only hazardous to your health, it can be hazardous to your career.
- Smoking is now considered a sign of weakness rather than a sign of sophistication. In
fact, smoking now has strong ethnic and class associations.
- Never light up if you dont see an ashtray.
- Because of possible legal repercussions to you or to the establishment, never smoke in
an no-smoking establishment.
- Never ask, "May I smoke?" even if you see an ashtray and your host is not
- Always ask your visitors if they mind you smoking.
- When you do smoke, always keep an eye on the direction of your smoke and make sure it is
not blowing into someone elses face.
- Be neat; never litter with your ashes or your cigarette butts.
- If smoking is allowed in restaurants in your area, always ask your guest beforehand if
smoking or non-smoking seating is preferred.
- Never smoke in between courses while dining. Wait until coffee is served at the end of
- Never smoke while others are still eating.
- Never smoke a cigar or a pipe in a restaurant unless it is a cigar-smoking
- Never smoke a cigar or a pipe in someone elses home unless the host invites you to
join him in a cigar, preferably in a well-ventilated area.
- In a smoking environment, it is polite to offer others a cigarette if you light up.
- If a non-smoker tells you your cigarette is an irritant, be considerate and move
elsewhere or extinguish the cigarette; your smoke is invading their space.